Thursday, September 16, 2010

Surprise!

I was planning to announce some exciting news in my next post, but my body had another surprise in store that has taken up the last 3 days of my life. Now, before anyone's imagination starts running away with itself, let me sum up what is happening.

1. Frank and I are expecting the arrival of our first child sometime around the end of March 2011. We're very excited, and of course a little nervous as we're about to become first time parents.

2. I had my appendix removed on Tuesday evening. WHAT?! Yep, went to the ER on Monday night with sever abdominal pain and vomiting, but was sent home after about 5 hours. Luckily I had an appointment the next morning with my obgyn and she immediately jumped into action thinking it was appendicitis due to my symptoms and continued pain.

She was right on, and after an MRI to confirm, I was admitted to the hospital and scheduled for surgery. Since I'm 12 weeks pregnant they suggested that I have a spinal instead of using general anesthesia, meaning I was awake during the entire procedure. It was interesting to say the least, and for those of you who are curious - the spinal didn't hurt in the least!

They did an old school appendectomy, not the laproscopic kind that the usually use these days. That decision was made due to my being pregnant - by having just one incision in my right side, they could more easily avoid 'uterine manipulation' during the procedure. Fine by me, my tummy already has plenty of scars so what is one more?

Anyway, after two nights in the hospital (three if you count 11pm-4am Monday to Tuesday) I'm back at home resting and recovering.

So, to summarize: I'm pregnant, but no longer have an appendix and everything is fine.

Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. And a happy Thursday to you my darling girl. Are you home??

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, read too fast and am really sleepy....so GLAD you are home. bet the hounds are too! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete