Monday, August 16, 2010

Landscaping

I've decided that I want to build some flower beds in the back yard. I have decided this for two reasons:

1. My puppy eats flowers that are on his level, so I need something raised and/or protected in which to grow things.

2. I'd like to block off a part of the yard and somehow train/bribe/beg the dogs to use that space for their 'business.'

I saw a picture of some nice looking raised beds, but now I can't find it again so you'll just have to follow me on this. I'm thinking of those oval-ish, long pieces of wood that I could stack on top of one another for the sides. I'm also thinking of two or three flower boxes across the back of the yard.

If this ever comes to fruition, I would most likely try to grow herbs or veggies in one of the boxes while sticking to pretty flowers in the other one or two.

Anyway, it is a dream I have - a dream to have a pretty yard, clear of puppy landmines.

But first, I need a lawn mower and I need it to be less than a million degrees so I can A) mow the lawn without dying and B) take care of the insane weeds that are currently climbing the outer walls of our house (aka, maintain the current landscaping).

Dear Home Depot, any interest in sponsoring my ventures? We could call it "If she can do this, truly anyone can!" I think it would be a big hit for you.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really good idea and dream, and I think training the boys to one area is doable. After all, Barn has 2 acres but goes to the same place every time. And Sandy, the modest one, always, always went behind the garage. Your Aunt Lisa might have some really helpful tips for you, as might Helen. One tip Helen taught me long ago: fertilize with REAL dried cow poop, NOT Black Cow or any products like that. You might have to go to a farming store to find it, but I have developed a great fondness for Jones Tractor Co. oddly enough! So you might have some fun...Good luck. xo

    ReplyDelete