Friday, September 2, 2011

I'm Excited About: Solid Food....or not

Little Man has been staring us down anytime we eat around him. Carefully watching the food go from our plates to our mouths. Then he started to grab at our food and drinks whenever he was within reach.

Like many parents, we took this as a sign that our guy was ready to try 'solids.' I say 'solids' because rice cereal is hardly a solid...it is more like milk soup with a little bit of rice flake added.

Here is a picture of our first attempt:

I tried to offer the cereal to him, he didn't seem interested and was suspicious of why I was allowing him to have this when I've not allowed him to have anything else.

I tried to entice him by pretending to eat it myself. He wasn't really buying this routine.


This is the face we got when the spoon actually made contact with his mouth. Abject horror. Might I remind you, this cereal is 90% breast milk and 10% rice flakes. Homeboy is acting like I just shoved lemon curry in his mouth.

Following this assault, and when he had consumed exactly ZERO of the cereal, he decided that the best way to wash the taste from his lips was to make himself gag until he threw up. A tad dramatic, don't you think?

Don't worry, Little Man, we won't be subjecting you to this torture again for at least a month - and then only if the doctor says we have to do it.

2 comments:

  1. We skipped over rice cereal and went right to oatmeal. I've never known ANYONE to have a baby that enjoyed the rice, and our doc suggested oatmeal because of its nutritional value. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS! (You guys actually loved it but I made it less soupy and added a touch of baby applesauce or I think peaches to it.) But he seems to be doing great without it, so waiting another month is fine! Also, just FYI, you may recall Dr. L. kept all of you on rice only until 1 in an attempt to help prevent allergies.) That was a long time ago though....I like your doc and am sure she will give great advice. Still laughing over the pictures! HOW could you be so cruel???

    ReplyDelete