Monday, August 29, 2011

A Week of Firsts

In that last seven days there have been a handful of firsts around here:

1. First trip to the pediatrician for a 'sick' visit. Little Man had been running a low grad fever on and off for enough days that it was time to kick the Tylenol and see a doc. His nose was a little snotty, too, and he'd thrown his naps completely out the window. The doc's report was good: no illness to speak of, keep up the tylenol, call if the fever spikes, sometimes 4 month old babies stop napping, no teeth, and good luck!

The next day, I came down with a rockin' summer cold that I'm still trying to get through...thanks Little Man.

2. That same day, we had an earthquake. What?! Yes, an earthquake. And a reasonably sized one, too! LM and I were at home, just in from the doctor's appointment and our house started shaking. Like every other DC resident I assumed it was a low flying military plane, but then it didn't pass and the shaking got stronger it became clear that the ground was actually moving. LM and I got into a load bearing doorway, called Hamilton over, and waited it out. This was my first earthquake, too, so we got to share in that!

Our damage was limited to a few soap/shampoo bottles falling into the bathtub and a slightly broken iron that fell off of the ironing board in the basement. I haven't tried to use the iron yet, so I'm not sure if it is superficial damage, or if we indeed 'lost' our iron to the 'quake.

3. A hurricane! Seriously, who has an earthquake and a hurricane in the same week? Lucky for us, it was not very bad here. It was a lot of rain and some high winds over night on Saturday, but by Sunday afternoon it was a beautiful day with some branches on the ground.

None the less, this was a big week for our Little Man. I expect many more doctor visits in his future, and as long as we're east-coasters there will be more hurricanes, but I'm hoping that LM doesn't get to experience any more earthquakes...that was a first that I wouldn't mind being an 'only' as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment