Saturday, November 14, 2009

I'm a PC

I've always been a PC user, even back to the IBM my dad owns that we played with as children. I had a cream colored exterior, a black screen, and green type....we're talking DOS people. But it had a great game where you were a ship and you tried to drop bombs on submarines, it was the best!

Anyway, through college I used Dell computers and now I have a nifty little HP laptop that recognizes my left thumb print (used for log in), has a touch screen, and even has a screen that folds down so that I can write on it like a notebook!

I just spent a couple hours upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I didn't have any major complaints about Vista, but I decided to upgrade to 7 when I found out that I could do it for $30! (that is 85% off retail value)

How did I do it? Well, I'm in grad school and I have a functioning email address that ends in ".edu" and that is all it takes. My father-in-law sent along a helpful email with all the information and this link with directions.

So, if you have a .edu address and you'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 for $30, just click the link and be on your way!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. Now I'm the obnoxious correcting mother. Honey, it wasn't a MAC! Your Aunt Kathie worked for IBM, remember? It is one of the very first home PC's. She never used it because she had such good access at work, so she gave it to your dad for Christmas. Its still in the attic and the Dos books are on the shelf above my head! The boys think we should list it on ebay...an antique for sure. Wonder if the submarine game still works. Or the exploring the cave one...remember that? Those were the good old days when computers were built to last! ;-)

    ReplyDelete