Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter at Cherrydale

Easter Sunday was our first day in the new sanctuary at Cherrydale, and it was beautiful! Here is a glimpse of our new sanctuary from the balcony.


I played my violin in all three services - I was terrified because it has been so long since I played - so I spent about 5 hours at church and got to hear the sermon and testimony 3 times. It was fantastic! I love a good Easter sermon, and Pastor King really knows how to give 'em.


I love Easter Sunday for so many reasons, but one of the things I like best is that every church is packed to the gills for every service.

The message we get to hear at Easter every year is one of the best! I know that many churches have members that can't come every week; missionaries, shut ins, some who are too sick or elderly, and I love seeing so many of them at the holidays. Some people just aren't church-goers for any number of reasons, but I love seeing those people, too! Having a full church didn't help my nervousness on the violin, I just hope I didn't scare anyone off.


If seeing a large crowd that morning, or knowing that it is one of the High Holy Days, or having family in town, or plain old curiosity is what brings people into church for those holidays, that is fine with me. Easter is such an amazing opportunity for the church membership to reach out to others in the community and to give them the chance to hear the Good News, to maybe have a seed of faith or hope planted in their hearts.

The sounds of metal folding chairs being brought in is music to my ears on these special days. I loved seeing a full house this Sunday! I thought it was crazy that we had to bring in extra chairs in the brand new (bigger) sanctuary, and I'm so glad that that many people came to hear the Good News!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter Sunday full of hope and joy. And I hope you took time to say 'hi' to a couple church visitors, you never know what a smiling face and welcoming hand shake can do when God is involved.

This is a picture of our new sanctuary from the outside. There is more work to be done, but we're so grateful for the new space and the growth that Cherrydale has been experiencing that made this new space necessary! I hope we keep growing and growing and growing - and as many babies as I saw on Sunday I'd say we're growing!


I hope that Frank and I can share this great church with more and more of our friends here. We've made so many wonderful friends at the church, I think it is time we start sharing our church with our friends! Let me know if you are looking for a good place to worship, cause I've got one for you - and they won't let you off easy, either, get ready for a new wave of friends when you come!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter, and it's nice to see pictures of the Sanctuary. I've been curious what it looks like on the inside with all the construction.

    I started going to the Episcopal church across the street from your church and love it. Unfortunately, I teach on Sundays... so my church going is very limited these days. It's something I really miss. :(

    ReplyDelete