Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Reading

Last week I finished the newest Pat Conroy book, South of Broad, and as usual I loved it! It felt different than many of his other books in some ways, but very much like them in other ways. As with his other books I highly recommend this new one, though watch out for the end - it gets kinda scary/suspenseful at times, enough that I had to tear myself away so that I could finish it in the safety and security of a Metro Bus rather than right before bed.

Disclaimer: Mom, I don't recommend this book to you - it is not a happy book and you would hate it.

Speaking of Mom, she gave me a hard back copy of The Lords of Discipline (my favorite book of Conroy's as well as my favorite book overall) that was signed by Conroy himself, personalized to me! I love seeing that book on my shelf so much that I purchased an older paperback version to be used as a loaner to friends. I won't part with that book for anything!

Conroy's work is very Charleston-heavy, and it makes for interesting summer reading. It is leagues above the other stuff I read at the beach, this actually qualifies as literature! He is pretty verbose, but if you have a love or an interest in Charleston or any other similar sea-side town I think you will appreciate his work.

If you aren't sure, I'd start with My Losing Season. I loved this autobiographical account of his time at the Citadel, and I seem to remember it being a little less verbose than his fictional pieces. Although I don't have a paperback copy of that one so you'll have to check it out of a real library.

1 comment: