Friday, July 23, 2010

Movie Review: Despicable Me

Frank took me on a date last night to Chipotle and to see Despicable Me - my idea of a great date night!

The movie theater was an interesting mix of preteens (looked like a slumber party), parents, couples, and a curios trio of gamer-geeks. The previews were nearly exclusively for other animated films, one exception being the new Nanny McPhee flick, which of course is about a magical nanny.

Once the movie began, it was clear that it was going to be everything I'd hoped. I can honestly say that I laughed out loud more at this movie than any other movie I can think of in recent memory. They even throw in a Godfather joke for all of the dads/boyfriends/husbands in the theater!

The story arch is entirely predictable, including a theme park/roller coaster scene for those of you watching in 3D, but like I said before it was just what I wanted it to be. The characters are easy to love, even the villainous Gru who isn't nearly as villainous as I'm sure he'd like to think.

There was one element missing, though I didn't mind: it didn't have the truly evil and scary villain or any extended moments of real fear for the main characters. Most animated movies seem to include a truly horrifying 'bad guy' while DM's villain was a dorky kid earning his villain stripes. Even the mastermind behind the dork only had a few scenes and never entered the plot in a significant way.

All in all, I loved the movie and will certainly watch it again when it comes out on DVD. It is good for a lot of laughs and even a tear or two if you happen to be particularly hormonal that day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! It is on my list for next week's date night! We saw "Salt" this week and if you like action thrillers/spy movies, it was a good one! We loved it! I love date night, hopefully it won't end with the bambino entering our lives in a few short weeks!

    ReplyDelete