Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hamilton

Frank just got off the phone with the vet, and she is on board with the Florinef course of treatment. She has never used it before, but as it is a much more affordable option and doesn't require a monthly trip to the vet for injections (or WORSE, us learning to give him injections at home) we're going for it.

She wants us to do some research, along with her, about the potential side effects and different issues that can arise. She specifically mentioned monitoring H's electrolytes and also adding salt to his diet to help him remain hydrated. While I'm not sure how to monitor electrolytes yet, I did already begin to add salt to his food last night.

There are some great websites with information on dogs with Addison's and ways that we as owners can help to manage the disease. I'm so grateful for that! I feel like I have some direction and some things to try, and I don't feel like my world is crashing in on me (which is how I felt last night). I have every intention of doing my best to care for our dog and to simultaneously be a good steward of our finances - it will be a delicate balance, but we'll find it!

As for Hamilton, he seems to be doing better already. He certainly isn't 100% yet, but he is better. More interested in food, more wagging of the tail, responding to our voices and to treats - we're on the right path.

We've increased his steroid dosage, per our vet, and will keep them at an elevated dosage until he is back to normal. He'll eventually be back down to just 1/4 pill each morning.

I'm still not happy to find out that my darling hound has a disease that has no cure, but I'm grateful that we discovered it before it hit a 'crisis' level and that there are treatment options that won't bankrupt us or force us to make a really difficult decision.

2 comments:

  1. LosingWeightintheCity.comDecember 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

    Awww, poor Hammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with Addison's, but I'm glad y'all caught it early. What symptoms was Hamilton displaying? I'll be keeping you all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete