Monday, January 31, 2011

My God is mightier than Metro

My weekend was fantastic. I got some much needed rest, ate amazing food,
got to see college friends that I love, and spend quality time with family.

Sunday was just awful. The kind of day that can tear down the strongest of
the strong and reduce anyone to an angry, teary, frustrated heap. I spent
most of Sunday wishing it would just end.

Today, I've spent most of the day trying to brush any remainder of Sunday
away. I've prayed almost constantly about almost everything, and mostly
for Sunday to just be lifted away. My iPod was in on the mission and
played "Dancing in the Rain" by Stephen Sharpe - I set it to repeat and
listened to it at least 12 times.

I'm currently working only half days at work, per doctor's orders, so I
left the office at about 1:40pm. As I walked to the Metro, still listening
to Dancing on repeat, I was trying to not walk too fast and to also
continue to shed Sunday. One of the things I'm not supposed to do is walk
too quickly, this is very hard for me as anyone will tell you I inherited
my father's nature when it comes to walking with a purpose.

Enter Metro's attempt to mess me up...

As I entered the station I looked at the arrival board:
My train was arriving in 2 minutes
My train arrives on the lower platform
It takes about 3 minutes to walk to the lower platform when I'm walking
with a purpose
I wasn't going to make my train
The next train wasn't coming for 15 minutes

I was faced with a choice: continue walking at a reasonable pace and wait,
or run - possibly causing myself pain and discomfort by triggering a
contraction- and make the train in 2 minutes.

I chose the first one. And I made the first train. The arrival board
didn't change from 2 minutes until I was on the lower platform.

Sometimes God makes dancing in the rain a little easier, and God is always
mightier than Metro.

1 comment: