Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting There - Upstairs edition

So, there isn't much on the walls yet but the walls are painted so it is time for an update.

The office - the walls have been painted, the bookshelves are up, the books unloaded, and the desk is operational. Frank has hung his Tottenham scarf but most of the other details are still to come.


The bookshelves will be organized and then decorated with pictures and sports paraphernalia. I promised Frank that he could hang all of his Dartmouth Winter Carnival posters when he has an office...so hopefully those will go up soon too!


Some of the cooler items may end up in Frank's office in Fairfax, so I can't promise pictures of diploma's or J.D.s. And here is Frank, putting the office to good use! He was a good sport and agreed to downsize his desk - his former huge desk is now serving as my sewing/crafts/laundry folding/gift wrapping table in the basement. Thanks Frank!


This final feature is temporary and really comes and goes as it pleases. We didn't install it, it just shows up sometimes.


The bedroom - walls are painted a cool Newport Blue. My mirror is hung over the dresser, and is the only thing on the walls so far. We bought and constructed an armoire for Frank as there is only one small closet in the bedroom.


Wall decorations, a rug, and window treatments are still to come. I'm hoping to use the same curtains we had at the old place by cutting and sewing the two panels (four, really; two black, two patterned) to fit as one panel per window (there are three windows in our room now).


The headboard is the same from the last place, but it hasn't gone up yet. It is a two person job and so far this week Frank or I have been away during reasonable drilling hours. Did I mention that the duplex is pre-WWII construction? Well, it is and that means it is sturdy, and that you need a drill to hang a picture.


Finally, the bathroom. It is bright yellow! Again, Frank's choice and he did well. I pointed to the shower curtain and said "chose a color from that curtain for the walls," he took no time at all to chose yellow. Subsequently, I have about 96% of a gallon of yellow paint in case anyone is in need...


I'm trying to find the perfect cabinet to hang over the toilet. We're sadly low on storage space in the bathroom so I'm trying to find something that is 1. white 2. affordable 3. has doors/drawers that are not glass 4. has a towel rack on the bottom. I don't think this is too much to ask, but apparently Target, Home Depot, and CraigsList think it is.

We could also use something in the shower to hold our soap/shampoo/conditioner, but I'm picky - I hate the caddies that hang from the showerhead, they never stay up and I always hit them when I'm washing my hair. Still dreaming up a solution for this one, I'll get back to you.


Lastly, I'm also hoping to find an under-the-sink solution. Be it a cabinet, shelf, or cubby, we need more storage. The good news is that mirror is a medicine cabinet, I just need to get around to organizing it and helping it to reach its full functional potential.


All for now, Hamilton and I are worn out from the tour. We'll post more "before" pictures from the rest of the house later on - a couple more rooms to paint and more boxes to unpack, and we'll let you see it before it all gets going!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the pictures, updated update, and your movable house decoration. Color choices look really good. Have an idea for your sink issue...call me. Also can't wait for pictures of your sewing center! Didn't realize you have curved ceiling in your room--hooray! They are the best. You may not recall, but Kath and I had the same on Hillsboro Rd. When I was very, very young, and Kate and Poppy still lived in Jenkintown, Kath and I loved to sleep up on the third floor in the room with "the walls curving down!" And yes, that house was def. pre WWII! xoxo

    ReplyDelete