Sunday, November 28, 2010

Where Have You Been?

Took a little holiday hiatus from the blog - sorry about that. Mom, Dad, and Patrick came up to VA for Thanksgiving so I was busy off having adventures with them.

On Thursday we had Thanksgiving dinner with Tina and one of my friends from high school and her husband. It was fun to get to sit down with everyone and then hang out digesting for a while. There was a lot of football to be had, as well as plenty of food (even though we had one casualty - the green bean casserole didn't make it...moment of silence for the casserole dish that also didn't make it). We mostly lounged around after dinner and then everyone hit the hay.

Friday consisted of more football, this time of the college variety. We all watched as Alabama choked against Auburn, none of us really knowing what to do since we strongly dislike both teams. In the end, we were mostly rooting for Auburn to get knocked around enough that they might be a little slow next week against the Gamecocks in the SEC championship game.

We decided to venture into the city on Saturday to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery/National Gallery of Art (same building...two names). The Rockwell exhibit was really cool, and is made up of the two private collections of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. The one question that was left unanswered for me is, do they have these pieces on display somewhere all of the time? Or do they live in storage?

We also got to see one of Dad's sisters and her family. Frank and I see them on occasion, but my parents only see them every other year or so, so it was a nice visit. The four of us went back to the gallery afterward, I wanted Dad to see the Presidential portrait exhibit. It is a permanent exhibit, and one of my favorites in DC. If you've never been, I highly recommend it! They have at least one portrait of every president as well as some other cool paintings and artifacts throughout the hall.

Saturday night was, of course, highlighted by the sound beating that the Gamecocks delivered to the Clemson Tiggers. Nothing says 'quality family time' like gathering to watch the sad faces of Clemson fans on a big tv. 29-7. Lovely.

Today was brief; church then departures. The SC crew hit the road around 11, hopefully beating a lot of the other traffic on I-95 S.

Things I'm thankful for, looking back on this weekend:

1. Dad kept on top of our dishes. With 5 adults in the house and no dishwasher, it was a life-saver to have such a vigilant dish washer among us. I think I thanked him 100 times, but I'm not sure it was enough!

2. Success in hosting the family. I know my family, and I generally can anticipate their needs, but there is always that nervous "what if we forgot something important" feeling just before the arrive. My parents and brother were great guests, helpful, happy, easy, and I'm glad Frank and I had the opportunity to host them for the holiday.

3. The Gamecocks pounded the Tiggers. 'Nuff Said.

4. The hounds behaved....mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment