Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Sometimes, because of where we live, the roads are blocked off for a motorcade. Often times this is very inconvenient and can cause severe traffic back up.

Sometimes, I don't mind in the least.

This morning my bus was stopped at the intersection by my house for about 3-5 minutes. There were more than a dozen police motorcycles and even a few undercover cop cars.

Then came the hearse.

When I saw the hearse heading into Ft. Myer with a flag covered coffin in the back I immediately changed from curious to sadly grateful.

I am thankful for the man or woman in that coffin, for their service to our country, and for their willingness to sacrifice their own life for the benefit of others. I am thankful for the family and friends of that soldier who followed behind, who lost their child, spouse, or friend to a calling greater than themselves.

Remember to thank service members when you see them.

3 comments:

  1. I am thankful to have a daughter who writes lovely pieces like this. Thank you for the reminder honey, and yes, I do thank every single military person I see, ever since Andrew. God bless them every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Annie. I once was stuck in this huge traffic back up in an itty bitty town in Maine. I was so annoyed . . . we were going to be late meeting our friends to go camping, etc.

    And then a motorcade came through, just like you described, and it was immediatly clear it was a soldier's funeral. I was so embarassed and mad for being so selfish, complaining about traffic, that I just bursed into tears. The way traffic was reintroduced, we were the first car behind the procession and followed it several more miles to a church.

    I will never ever forget that day. Your story just brought it all back. It is just so moving to see and makes me so thankful for everything.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm behind on blog reading, but this is a beautiful post and it brought tears to my eyes. I am so grateful for those who serve so we can have so many beautiful freedoms.

    ReplyDelete