Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Olympic Fever

The Olympics are getting a lot of air time in DC right now. Not the 2012 or even the 2008 Olympics, the 2016 Olympics are in the spotlight. President Obama, and dozens of other famous Chicagoans are making their way to Copenhagen (what a wad of flavor, Copenhagen you can see it in my smile - name that musician!) for the IOC's vote on the location of the 2016 Olypic Games.

I googled "Chicago Olympics" and got some pro-Olympic sites and some anti-Olympic sites, and I also saw the proposed logos. The torch style logo is cool, and so far it is the only thing that makes me think for a moment that having the Olympics in Chicago could be a good thing....at least you know where I stand.

Rio really wants the Olympics and since they are hosting the World Cup in 2014 it seems like an easy transition to give them the Games in 2016. Hosting these kinds of events require such a financial commitment from the host nation, and then they are often left with empty arenas and sport complexes so huge that they can never quite fit back into normal life. So, why not let Brazil host the 2016 Games and reuse their awesome World Cup facilities and security forces? I mean, is there a better 'dry run' for security for the Olympics than the World Cup?? I don't think so, I would honestly think that the security is heavier for the Cup than the Olympics...crazy hooligans.

The reason I wrote this post was to get to this part - I watched the opening ceremonies for the 2008 Beijing Olympics in an Irish pub in Stockholm, Sweden! Where were you?

Go Rio!

No comments:

Post a Comment